Stuffed Pepper Casserole
Be sure to see both recipes on this blog post. Both are very similar but cooked differently. I hope you will enjoy them!
- 6 large green peppers (about 2 1/2 lb)
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (1 lb) tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 lb ground chuck
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
1. Cut off tops of peppers; remove ribs and seeds. Chop edible portion of tops; set aside. Wash peppers.
2. Place peppers in large kettle with 2 quarts salted water. Bring to boiling; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Drain peppers; set aside.
3. In hot margarine in medium skillet, saute chopped green pepper, onion and celery, 3 to 5 minutes, until tender.
4. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350 F.
6. Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, combing egg, remaining salt and pepper, and Worcestershire. Beat with spoon to blend.
7. Add chuck, rice, and 1 cup of tomato mixture, mixing well.
8. Stuff peppers with meat mixture. Place in 3-quart casserole. Pour remaining tomato mixture over peppers.
9. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour.
Makes 6 servings.
Crockpot Green Bell Stuffed Pepper by McCallum Vintage Recipe Divas
Crock Pot recipes shouldn’t be too complicated or they defeat the whole purpose of using a Crock Pot. They should, however, contain a variety of ingredients so you can get all the flavor and nutrients you need out of a one-pot meal.
- 2 pounds ground Italian sausage (or a combination of sausage and beef)
- 6 large green peppers
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 cups pre-cooked rice using 1/4 of water recommended
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 large can of seasoned tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Cut the tops of the peppers and clean the seeds out.
2. Arrange peppers in the Crock-Pot standing up and make sure they fit securely.
3. Grate onion, and garlic in the food processor. You can also just chop them into small pieces with a knife if you don’t have a food processor.
4. In a big bowl, combine ground Italian sausage, beef, onions, pre- cooked rice and seasonings.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stuff the peppers with the mixture and arrange leftover meat between the peppers. Add seasoned tomato sauce, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
6. If you don’t have a slow-cooker, the dish can be cooked in the oven, covered, for 1- hour