- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
- 4 cups cut-up fresh pineapple (about 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup rum or apricot brandy
Shape ice cream into 6 to 8 balls as pictured and roll in coconut. Place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet and freeze.
Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in chafing dish or skillet; add butter, lemon juice and orange peel. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in pineapple; heat until fruit is hot, about 2 minutes. Heat rum in small saucepan just until warm; ignite and pour flaming rum on pineapple. Stir; spoon over each serving of ice cream. 6 to 8 servings.
Fresh Fruit Polynesian: Omit coconut. Substitute 4 cups cut-up or sliced fresh fruit for the pineapple. Choose from the following: strawberries and peaches, bananas and raspberries or pears and blueberries.