(Makes two 9″ layers)
Follow directions carefully, be sure to use Crisco and we promise you a lighter, richer, moister, more tender cake. The Crisco Success Cake Method is different – that’s why it’s easy and sure-fire!
Measure into bowl:
(All measurements level)
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 squares melted chocolate
- 3/4 cup sour milk (or buttermilk)
Mix thoroughly by hand or mixer (medium speed) for 2 minutes.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sour milk (or buttermilk)
- 3 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix thoroughly by hand or mixer (medium speed) for 2 minutes. Pour into two deep 9-inch layer pans (1 1/2″ deep) which have been rubbed with Crisco and lined with heavy waxed paper. (For smaller pans, fill half full, bake cup cakes with remaining batter). Bake in moderate oven (350 F) for about 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 15 mins before removing. Loosen edges from pan with spatula. Place rack over cake and pan; invert together. Ice between cooled layers, sides and top of cake with creamy icing. Trace top design with toothpick. Melt one square chocolate with one tablespoon Crisco; then follow tracing, letting chocolate run off tip of spoon.
- 2 tbsp water
- 4-1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2-1/3 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 1 egg 2/3 cup Crisco
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Boil water and granulated sugar together until sugar is dissolved. Mix confectioners sugar and egg; blend with syrup. Add Crisco and vanilla. Beat until creamy.
- Swans Down 1950 Chocolate Whirlaway Cake Recipe Ad (mccallumvintagerecipedivas.wordpress.com)